Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Happy 29th Birthday Oliver!


Dear Oliver,


Happy Birthday! Can you believe how the Rockets pulled out a win against the Jazz last night? It was crazy. I love watching the Rockets, because it reminds me of how we used to go to games together growing up. I remember driving to the Summit with you and watching playoff games vs. the Suns and even getting to go to the NBA Finals together. I blame you for my sports addiction, by the way. I grew up always watching you cheer so hard for your teams, and I've always wanted to be more like you. While we didn't always get along - and I'm sure that I could be pretty annoying when I was little - I always felt safe when I went places with you. You would take me to the video arcade and teach me how to play video games. Of course, you were always somehow better than me. Whenever I needed advice about school or whether I should buy a new bike or something, I knew I could ask you. You loved teaching so much that you gave up pursuing a job with your Chemical Engineering degree and instead taught High School kids science. You followed your heart and gave me the courage to follow mine.


When you got sick, you refused to let the cancer beat you. You fought back with all you had and taught me to never lose hope. I learned about faith from you. Even as you saw yourself dying, your body withering away since you could no longer eat, you continued to praise God. We didn't quite understand why you got sick back then, and maybe we never truly will, but you accepted God's plan, whatever it was. I was stubborn and angry, thinking things weren't fair. But when you told me that you weren't sure if you would survive anymore, you didn't say it with despair. I'm sure it hurt you inside, even with all the physical pain you were going through, but you were certain that this would not be the end. I know I'll see you again one day. We're just here on earth as a temporary assignment. Though some may feel you only spent 28 years here on earth, we're all here for but a blink of an eye.


Thank you for the daily reminder that we should live each day as if it were our last. We should love one another openly and smile each day through our imperfections, our struggles and our pain. I love you and I miss you, but I am glad to call you my brother forever.


Love,
Darwin

4 comments:

Unknown said...

happy birthday kuya Oliver!

i miss you so much...
i love you..

ann

M said...

sending you and oliver love... -mamei

Unknown said...

Oliver,

You will always be a special memory
You will always be a special part of me
I'll always cherish wonderful moments you have given me
I'll remember you wherever I may be

All the times we shared will always be to me
Songs my heart will sing are special melody
I'll put together all of your laughter like a symphony
You are in my heart wherever I may be

-eloha-

Blake said...

Oliver,

Brother, I don't know you personally, but I do know your little bro to be a great man who tirelessly seeks God's heart. This letter he has written you is a source of inspiration for me since I myself have two younger brothers.

I was touched by the way that Darwin looks up to you and how he sees you as a teacher. It is my hope and prayer that my younger brothers would be able to say equally complimentary things about me someday. Take care, Oliver. I look forward to meeting you one day in paradise.

Blessings,
Blake