Monday, March 26, 2007

Han Mae's Birthday

This weekend I succeeded in at least two things: taking a lot of pictures and playing a lot of basketball. I'd say that any time I can say both of those things in the same weekend, it's been a good weekend (though switch basketball with soccer and that's a great weekend).


Saturday I played in a 3 on 3 tournament with some friends from work at the Pro Club (aka the "Microsoft Gym"). Originally we wanted to play in the co-ed division so I asked my friend Emily and she got her friend Kitty to play with us. But, when they e-mailed us the tournament schedule, we saw that there were only 2 teams with girls on them. So there weren't enough teams to sign up for the co-ed division and they combined us with the men's league. Well, Steve, Eric and I thought we'd be up for the challenge.

Overall, the competition was pretty good for us. We always played with one girl on the court and two guys. Other teams would sometimes guard Emily or Kitty with a giant 6 foot+ dude for some reason, while a shorter guy would guard one of the guys. We ended up going 1-3 in the round-robin tournament. We should have won 2 games and could have won 3 but the ball didn't bounce our way you could say. Still, we had a lot of fun and considering our size and gender disadvantage, we did pretty well.

Here's a picture of our team. Yes, I am aware that I look like an idiot.

Later that day I went into downtown Seattle to Wasabi Bistro for my friend Han Mae's birthday party. We had most of the back room reserved, which was good since we had like 30 people there or so. I was official photographer for the night, and I took way too many pictures to post here, but I'll post a few.


It was a night for Wasabi.

It definitely complimented the white salmon sashimi. Oishii desu ne!

David, Randy, Nancy, and Han Mae. Some of the first people I met in Seattle when I first interview here about a year ago.

The birthday girl and me.

Flowers! For me? Aww, you shouldn't have.

Singing "Happy Birthday"

Hmm, what should I wish for?

Yeah, that's a good wish. Now if I can just blow out all these candles, I mean candle.

Don't we all want to be a princess? I know I do...

A homemade present - isn't that sweet?


Downtown Seattle at about... it looks like 10:55pm.

The guys chillin' out later at the Triple Door - a jazz bar.

By the end of the night, you could tell Han Mae had a good time, especially with Clara and Ann by her side.

We weren't able to go out dancing because of the crowd, but I obliged her a last dance of the evening.


Han Mae was the first person I met in Seattle when I came to visit over a year ago. Our mutual friend Derek G (who was in my fraternity in college) introduced us at a Swing Dance night at the Century Ballroom. She was nice enough to show me around some last year and she also introduced me to Quest Church. Thanks Han Mae, and Happy Birthday!

For your enjoyment, the rest of the 119 pictures can be found here.

No comments: